Energy Management System (EMS) Engineer
|Position title:||Energy Management System (EMS) Engineer|
|Reports To:||Manager of EMS|
|Salary Range:||Commensurate with Experience|
Scope and Major Responsibilities
Plan, develop, implement and maintain VELCO’s Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition, and Energy Management System (SCADA/EMS), which includes real-time electrical power system models and advanced applications (Power Flow, State Estimator, and Real-Time Contingency Analysis). Assist with control center operations by utilizing technologies and strategies to improve overall system reliability. Must work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintain reliable and efficient operations of VELCO’s SCADA/EMS by Open Systems International (OSI). Implement, configure, maintain and expand SCADA/EMS databases, displays, calculations, and applications. Solve problems affecting the system and user operations.
- Work with VELCO and external staff including vendors, electric distribution companies, neighboring transmission owners/operators, and ISO-NE to maintain and troubleshoot SCADA/EMS, remote terminal units, Inter Control Center Protocol (ICCP) data links and equipment.
- Maintain proficiency with power flow modeling that includes maintaining accurate models and troubleshooting real-time model solutions. Validate the EMS OSI real-time model and solutions with other power-flow models such as Power System Simulator for Engineering (PSS/E).
- Assist in the development and maintenance of the SCADA historian and other special applications. Develop reports and queries of historical operations data.
- Maintain awareness and develop all work products in adherence with internal work processes and procedures, and in compliance with North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) standards.
- Maintain strong working relationships and work effectively with VELCO’s Engineering, Operations, IT/Networks, Telecommunications and Capital Projects groups throughout various stages of projects and initiatives.
- Responsible for responding to off-duty call-outs. Required to carry a pager.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Manager of EMS.
Education and Experience Requirements
A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Information Science is required. Candidate will have demonstrable proficiency with EMS tools including Open Systems International (OSI) to aid in power flow analysis. Candidate will also have development and troubleshooting skills in real-time data acquisition. Network modeling security analysis ability, as well as complex computer and/or electronic equipment analysis skills are expected, as are efficient programming skills. AutoCAD, OSI Soft (PI) Historian knowledge is a plus. The candidate will possess superior written, verbal communication and critical thinking skills. A comprehensive knowledge of bulk transmission system and ISO-NE is desired. Proficiency with Windows operating systems is required. Must maintain a valid VT driver’s license and live in the proximity of Rutland.
The description above reflects the most specific duties performed but does not exclude the occasional work assignments not mentioned.
If you are interested and believe that you have the qualifications, please apply online with your resume and cover letter, or send same to email@example.com, or mail to VELCO HR, 366 Pinnacle Ridge Road, Rutland, VT 05701.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply—VELCO is an equal opportunity employer.