|Position title:||Field Coordinator|
|Reports To:||Substation Construction Manager|
|Salary Range:||Commensurate with Experience|
Scope and Major Responsibilities
The Field Coordinator is responsible for the coordination and oversight of activities associated with capital transmission and substation projects. This position will work closely with the Construction Manager, the Transmission Line Crew, Substation Maintenance Crew and Engineering staff. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, workforce safety, compliance with OSHA and NESC standards, daily and long term work plans, and monitoring field performance measures.
- Work in accordance with established operating and safety practices. Oversee construction and maintenance activities on electrical transmission facilities. These facilities include, but are not limited to, structures, fixtures, conductors, and insulators.
- Be familiar with, and follow all VELCO safety and environmental rules. Ensure that all construction activity is being performed in compliance with the VELCO safety policies, OSHA and NESC standards, including monitoring personnel in their use of proper protective equipment (safety glasses, hardhats, etc.).
- Perform on-site field inspections of electric construction projects and provide written reports of the results.
- Monitor construction work in progress for proper quality control and advise on corrective actions as needed.
- Be responsible for pre-construction reviews of project plans.
- Assist Construction Management in the resolution of engineering and environmental-related issues.
- Respond to requests from the field crews and assist with suggested methods, materials and field changes in planning the construction process. Coordinate changes and approval with applicable parties.
- Join with the VELCO Project Manager and Construction Manager to ensure that all employees and contractors are cognizant of the construction stipulations and compliance issues such as erosion and control plans, tree/brush clearing, landscaping and screening, lighting plans, general arrangements, site ingress/egress, endangered species protection, noise constraints, dust control, and any special stipulations.
- Review all construction drawings to become thoroughly familiar with the design requirements, inspect the work products and assist in observing the construction activity to be in compliance with all designs. Inform all parties of work plan changes as necessary.
- Deliver regular updates with accompanying documentation and digital photographs to the Construction Manager, Project Manager and Director of Transmission Assets.
- Verify all materials, adherence to VELCO’s standards, interactions with land owners, validation of as-built information, contractor labor on-site, and contractor labor hours.
- In accordance with VELCO standards, communicate with Operations prior to and during switching and tagging. Have knowledge of and comply with company switching and tagging policies. Have the ability to perform switching and hold VELCO tags.
- Work cooperatively with crews and provide mentoring to support the growth and development of others.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Construction Manager or Director of Transmission Assets.
Education and Experience Requirements
An Associate’s degree in Electrical Engineering and in-depth knowledge of transmission, substation and line construction (voltage levels 115 to 345 kV) is required. Candidates with at least five years of demonstrated, relevant experience, or equivalent combination of experience and education, will be considered. Knowledge of the VELCO transmission system and its facilities and/or the ability to rapidly learn and apply understanding of the system is expected. The individual who fulfills this role will have a project management discipline, effective leadership skills, in addition to knowledge of VOSHA construction safety standards. The individual must possess the ability to work effectively with fellow employees, contractors, other utilities, and the public. Travel and overnight stays are likely.
The description above reflects the most specific duties performed but does not exclude the occasional work assignments not mentioned.
If you are interested and believe that you have the qualifications, please apply online with your resume and cover letter, or send same to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to VELCO HR, 366 Pinnacle Ridge Road, Rutland, VT 05701.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply—VELCO is an equal opportunity employer.