Opening: Financial Accountant
|Position title:||Financial Accountant|
|Reports To:||Manager, Accounting|
|Salary Range:||Commensurate with experience|
Scope and Major Responsibilities
The Financial Accountant is responsible for timely and accurate preparation of financial statements and regulatory reporting. The Financial Accountant prepares project and general ledger accounting functions to include, but not limited to, cash management, accounts receivable, inventory, accounts payable, debt management, income taxes and ownership.
- Perform accounting close processes to assure accurate financial and regulatory reporting.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and filings in compliance with GAAP and FERC.
- Prepare and maintain processes and reports that reconcile project costs with general ledger activity to assure completeness and compliance with financial and regulatory reporting.
- Reconcile customer accounts to ensure accurate accounts receivable.
- Execute accounting functions as they relate to cash management, inventory, debt and debt compliance, income taxes, ownership and other financial statement classifications.
- Assist with developing and monitoring allocations.
- Assist with the annual external audit.
- Assist with periodic internal audits.
- Assist with preparation and maintenance of tax provision schedules.
- Assist with the maintenance of the company’s tax database.
- Assist with income tax and annual report preparation and filings.
- Serve as a department point of contact for financial information requests.
- Communicate and collaborate with other departments and auditors on audits, projects and activities.
- Assist with maintaining up-to-date written procedures for all close processes, financial statement preparation and filings in compliance with GAAP and FERC, debt and debt compliance, income taxes and ownership accounting functions.
- Participate in training and other learning opportunities to expand knowledge and remain current with company strategic direction.
- Perform other duties as required to support the Accounting Department.
The description above reflects the most specific duties performed but does not exclude the occasional work assignments not mentioned.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance/business or equivalent experience.
Minimum 4 years of professional accounting experience. (An MBA or CPA may be substituted for some experience.)
A strong work ethic and ability to work independently. The talent for teamwork, collaboration and communication are vital. The ability to manage multiple assignments and produce results in a high demand environment is central to the position.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and various accounting and database applications.
- Experience with financial report preparation.
- Knowledge of U.S. GAAP and FERC
- Knowledge of Income Tax Regulations
- Organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills to plan and meet deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A willingness to learn new skills and availability to change.
- Must be able to withstand prolonged periods of sitting or standing at a desk working at a computer.
- Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex work, in potentially stressful situations, with competing priorities, within tight timelines and with frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to work additional hours when necessary.
VELCO is an equal opportunity employer.