Opening: Operations Engineer
|Position title:||Operations Engineer|
|Reports To:||Jason Pew, Director, Operations & EMS|
|Salary Range:||Commensurate with experience|
Scope and Major Responsibilities
The Operations Engineer will develop and maintain operating procedures, guides and instructions in compliance with applicable standards for the safe and reliable operation of the VELCO transmission system. They will perform and coordinate impact analysis and operational studies in the support of the day-to-day operation of the VELCO control center. The Operations Engineer will ensure Operations’ activity and work products are in compliance with North American Reliability Corporation (NERC) standards and other regulatory requirements.
- Maintain an awareness of current and future NERC standards. Coordinate Operations compliance activity and submit documentation per VELCO’s compliance program by meeting imposed deadlines, coordinating efforts for achieving and maintaining audit readiness. Ensure that VELCO Operating practices comply with applicable NERC standards.
- Develop and maintain detailed control center operating procedures, guides, and instructions for Operations activities, including substation and transmission line procedures that comply with NERC standards, Northeast Power Coordinating Council (NPCC) directories, and Independent System Operator of New England (ISO-NE) operating documents. Ensure the Operations department is apprised, and trained if applicable, on all new and revised operating procedures reflecting new or revised procedures, guides, and directories, pertinent to VELCO’s operation. Ensure that the Main and Backup Control Centers’ are maintained with up-to-date operating documentation.
- Coordinate or perform the necessary load-flow studies for operating the transmission system in an efficient, safe and reliable manner. Support the VELCO Outage Coordinators by performing or coordinating contingency/impact analysis (load-flows) for planned system outages in assessing, understanding, and managing risk.
- Coordinate system changes and modifications with the Vermont Distribution Utilities and VELCO’s Engineering, Energy Management Systems (EMS), Field Services, and Planning departments.
- Coordinate with the Operations Training Coordinator on the development and maintenance of VELCO’s Operations Training Program by assessing training needs for all Operations personnel. Assist in the delivery of training material in accordance with the training program.
- Provide support and analytical guidance for the VELCO system operators, operations training coordinator, system planners, field technical personnel, and the Vermont distribution utilities.
- Assist the VELCO outage coordinators with the review of commissioning guides, switching plans, and maintenance requests.
- Assist with the maintenance of VELCO’s one-line diagrams.
- Lead the development and maintenance of VELCO’s Emergency Response Plan (ERP) and its associated exercises.
- Provide guidance and support for the VELCO switching and tagging program to ensure that safe practices are observed and utilized in the performance of switching and tagging activities.
- Support VELCO EMS staff in maintaining the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) and Network Applications programs.
- Represent VELCO on various working groups and committees within Vermont and ISO-NE.
- Provide functional backup for the Director of Operations and EMS.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Operations and EMS.
The description above reflects the most specific duties performed but does not exclude the occasional work assignments not mentioned.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Strong computer aptitude is required
- Proficiency with tools and applications used to aid in the simulation of system conditions for use in load flow and security analysis is desired
- Understanding and knowledge of key stakeholders (Vermont distribution utilities, ISO-NE, New England and neighboring Transmission Operators) is desired
- A NERC TO-level certification is required within two-years
- Response to off-duty calls may be required, particularly in the event of system emergencies, prolonged equipment and/or customer outages
VELCO is an equal opportunity employer.