Substation Maintenance Technician Electrician
|Position title:||Substation Maintenance Technician Electrician|
|Reports To:||Substation Maintenance Team Lead|
|Salary Range:||Commensurate with Experience|
Scope and Major Responsibilities
Work with minimal supervision to maintain VELCO’s substation power equipment and perform other duties in the areas of flexible AC transmission systems, fiber optics technology and Dynamic power equipment.
- Install, maintain and repair all types of substation equipment, including but not limited to high voltage power, Dynamic power and control, AC and DC station service and portable generation equipment.
- Perform emergency maintenance and restoration of electrical facilities, as needed.
- Operate and train others in the use of diagnostic testing equipment and be capable of analyzing the results. Diagnostic testing includes Doble power factor testing, circuit breaker timing, transformer oil dissolved gas analysis, transformer combustible gas detection, thermo graphic inspections, battery capacity testing and contact resistance testing.
- Responsible for appropriate labeling of hazardous waste materials, clean up and accurate documentation.
- Adhere to all company safety rules and policies with particular attention to OSHA regulations.
- Provide on-call support on a rotating basis, carry a pager and respond as appropriate.
- Obtain qualifications and serve on VELCO’s switching and tagging list.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
An Associate’s degree in Electrical Engineering Technology or related field is required. Five to seven years of demonstrated, relevant experience is highly desired or equivalent combination of experience and education. Additionally, a Vermont Electrician License is preferred though will consider candidates who are currently in an apprenticeship and willing to obtain. The individual who fulfills this position must possess the ability to work independently as well as a member of a team. Basic computer skills are required.
The candidate must have the capability and desire to climb steel and work at elevated heights, s/he must be able to rapidly learn the VELCO Transmission System and Substations, possess a valid driver’s license with the ability to upgrade to a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with Hazardous Material and Tanker Endorsements within 6 months and be willing to travel to all VELCO facilities, with frequent overnight stays.
The description above reflects the most specific duties performed but does not exclude the occasional work assignments not mentioned.
If you are interested and believe that you have the qualifications, please complete the online application and attach your resume and cover letter. Or complete the online application and email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com, or mail to VELCO HR, 366 Pinnacle Ridge Road, Rutland, VT 05701.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply—VELCO is an equal opportunity employer.