System Operator or Trainee
|Position title:||System Operator or Trainee|
|Reports To:||Manager of Control Center Operations|
|Salary Range:||Commensurate with Level and Experience|
Scope and Major Responsibilities
The System Operator or Trainee will operate the VELCO transmission system in a safe and reliable manner, both independently and with co-workers on rotating shifts. The System Operator Trainee will work either day or rotating shift, as assigned, under the direct supervision of a qualified System Operator. The following are the principal duties:
- Obtain and maintain NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation) certification in accordance with applicable NERC requirements through on-going computer-based and instructional classroom training.
- Ensure that the VELCO transmission system is at all times operated in accordance with all VELCO, ISO-NE, NPCC and NERC procedures, guidelines and requirements.
- Dispatch local generation, regulate power flows at interties using phase-shifting transformers and the Highgate HVDC Converter, and regulate system voltage using a variety of tools (load tap-changers, switchable capacitors and reactors, and dynamic devices such as the Essex STATCOM and Granite Reactive Power Device (RPD).
- Manage transmission system emergencies and unplanned outages, taking the necessary corrective actions to return the system to secure and stable operation.
- Coordinate the Vermont and New England areas operating activity with the Vermont distribution utilities, as a local control center within ISO-NE.
- Perform round-the-clock surveillance of the VELCO system via SCADA and various monitoring systems.
- Direct planned and unplanned emergent outages of transmission systems and equipment, including issuing switching orders and working clearances.
- Ensure that switching, tagging, and work activity conforms to the VELCO safety and switching rules.
- Prepare incident reports, trouble reports and switching plans. In preparation for upcoming work, review switching plans and supporting documentation for completeness and readiness.
- Maintain a detailed log of all events and system activity, including logging and monitoring field crews working on systems and apparatus with concern for personal safety and system reliability.
- Perform power flow studies and analysis, evaluate real-time contingency analysis and develop mitigation strategies for all contingencies in violation of operating limits.
- Develop accurate load forecasts based on historical load and weather data.
- Effectively use Plant Information (PI) historian to analyze and troubleshoot events.
- Must have and maintain a valid Vermont driver’s license and live in the proximity of Rutland.
- Provide on‑call support in the event of system emergencies, prolonged equipment or customer outages.
- Carry out assigned projects and perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
An Associate’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field is required. A minimum of 3-5- years in the electrical industry is preferred. Superior verbal and written communication skills are essential. The ability to multi-task and make timely decisions is an absolute must. Must be willing, and able, to work 12-hour rotating shifts. Working knowledge of spreadsheets, word processing, and databases is desired.
The System Operator Trainee will be required to perform outside studying during the training period. At the end of the training period, and upon passing the NERC certification exam, the Trainee will be assigned to regular rotating shift work as a System Operator.
The description above reflects the most specific duties performed but does not exclude the occasional work assignments not mentioned.
If you are interested and believe that you have the qualifications, please complete the online application and attach your cover letter and resume. Or complete the online application and email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to VELCO HR, 366 Pinnacle Ridge Road, Rutland, VT 05701.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply—VELCO is an equal opportunity employer.