Vermont Electric Power Company proposes to upgrade the Middlebury Subsation. The upgrade is needed because a recent conditions assessmnet revealed deficiences within the substation. The transmission system upgrade will improve reliability of electric facilities servings portions of Vermont.
Needs & Benefits
The VELCO Middlebury Substation was originally built in 1969 with various modifications and improvements occurring over the nearly fifty years of service. VELCO conducted a condition assessment of the Substation and identified th eneed to replace some of the equipment due to condition. The primary deficiency is the control building.
To correct this deficiency, VELCO proposes to replace the existing control building with a larger control building, and replace and expand a portion of the existing fence to accommodate the new control building on the northeast side of the existing facility. This work will require VELCO to expand the fence by approximately 30 feet on the east side, and approximately 72 feet on the north side to accommodate the new control building. VELCO will address other elements of the Substation by in-kind replacement and modifications of the existing equipment.
The project consists of the following primary components:
- Replace the existing control building with a larger control building that can accommodate a new protection and control system, redundant AC & DC station services, communication equipment, security systems and new bathroom facilities
- Replace the existing perimeter fence and expand the northeast substation yard area to accommodate new control building
- Replace water supply & wastewater systems for control building facilities
- Installation of a temporary substation and associated temporary access road and temporary fenced in yard to maintain electrical transmission for the Project’s duration (to be returned to existing conditions upon commissioning of the permanent substation)
- Redesign existing access road
- Replacement of the oil containment system at the transformer (typically maintenance work that does not require any regulatory procedures but is included as a component of this project
A public informational meeting is scheduled on November 29, 2022 at 5:30pm at the Middlebury Town Office located at 77 Main Street in Middlebury, VT. VELCO representatives will meet with the Middlebury Selectboard on November 29 at 7:00pm.
VELCO expects to file a Petition of Public Good on December 23, 2022.
Subject to Public Utility Commission approval, VELCO anticipates construction to begin summer 2023, and commissioned by winter 2024.