VELCO's safety commitment
VELCO is committed to the health and safety of our employees and the public. The company strives for a culture where safety is the number one priority. We provide our employees and contractors with the training and resources to assure a safe and healthy work environment. At VELCO, every employee has the right and obligation to stop work to question unsafe conditions and have their concerns expeditiously resolved.
Safety information links
- Farming safely around high-voltage lines
- Powerline safety guide for hunters & outdoor people
- Right-of-way usage policy
- VELCO Safety Manual
Safety near transmission lines
Vermont is a very rural state and transmission lines frequently cross remote areas. Extreme care must be taken when working on land near transmission lines and structures. High-voltage lines are typically not insulated, and they carry enough energy to cause fatal injuries. Recognize the dangers and act responsibly. The best way to avoid injury from power lines is to make a personal commitment to the safety of yourself and others.
Essential safety precautions
- Stay clear of high-voltage overhead power lines.
- Don’t climb or attach anything to transmission structures.
- Know the layout of the overhead electrical network on and near your property.
- Always look up before moving or using tools or equipment such as irrigation pipe, ladders or cranes that may come in contact with overhead power lines.
- Federal and state laws require you to stay a safe distance of 15 feet or more away from overhead power lines of 100,000 volts or less while working. This 15-foot clearance applies to anything you may be carrying or using.
- Use spotters when operating lift trucks and power or farm equipment to avoid contacting overhead lines. The spotter should observe the work and communicate with the operator to ensure the equipment never gets closer than 15 feet to a transmission line.
- Recognize the dangers and act responsibly.
For more information and for safety assistance around power lines, call 802-770-6213.