VELCO’s mission is to manage the safe, reliable, cost-effective transmission of electric power throughout Vermont and as a part of the integrated New England regional network. That mission requires us to maintain our existing system including our facilities and more than 13,000 acres of right-of-way; to plan for the future needs of Vermont and New England electric customers; and to construct upgrades when needed for system reliability or growth. In addition, we constantly seek ways that innovative solutions and technology can make us more effective and more efficient at being a trusted partner in grid solutions. These pages provide information about how VELCO carries out its work.
In this section you will find information about current and past system upgrades on VELCO’s transmission system, as well as information about other infrastructure projects.
What you can do in the Projects section:
- Learn about proposed or completed construction projects.
- Read documents filed with the Public Service Board in connection with the permitting process.
- Get news and updates about a project in process.
- Find out how to participate in public input processes related to a VELCO project.
This section covers our real estate and right-of-way activities, as well as vegetation management and other topics related to the maintenance of lands on which VELCO has easements.
What can you do in the Land Management section:
- Contact someone about work being done by VELCO on your land.
- Learn about what activities are and are not allowed on a VELCO easement.
- Get information about VELCO’s herbicide use.
- Read about our tree trimming and vegetation management practices.
In the Environment section, learn more about VELCO’s environmental policies, practices, and activities.
Some resources you’ll find here:
- VELCO’s environmental commitment
- VELCO’s Transmission Vegetation Management Year-End Report
- Activities of VELCO Associates for a Sustainable Environment and other VELCO initiatives in support of sustainability
- More information about environmental topics, such as transmission line corona, wood preservatives, and electric and magnetic fields.
- A look at VELCO’s cultural resource preservation work on the Northwest Reliability Project
In the Planning section, we highlight the process used to plan for future transmission system reliability. We explore the planning requirements both within Vermont and as part of the ISO-New England interconnected grid. We also focus on the 20-year Vermont Long-Range Transmission Plan.
What you can do in the Planning section:
- Learn about the current Vermont Long-Range Transmission Plan.
- Participate in the public outreach process conducted as part of the three-year update cycle for the Long-Range Plan
- Check to see what potential grid upgrades are on the horizon within the next ten years.
The Safety section explores VELCO’s commitment to safety at work, in our homes and in the community. Here you will find information and resources about our safety commitment and safety in our rights-of-way.
Learn more about:
- Farming safely near VELCO transmission lines.
- Hunter safety in and around the transmission corridor.
- Permitted and prohibited uses of VELCO’s right-of-way.
VELCO constantly seeks ways to incorporate innovative technology and practices into the way we work to add value for Vermont and the region. The Innovation section explores some of the recent ways innovation at VELCO is creating a better, more up-to-date and more efficient electric system for our customers.
Learn more about how:
- MapGuide puts precise tools for managing our rights-of-way and facilities in the hands of our crews in the field.
- Smart grid modernizes the grid from meter to high-voltage transmission.
- Collaboration on cutting-edge weather forecasting may lead to better, more efficient integration of renewable energy into the grid.